To provide a posting, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should include your desired wording and links. Make sure that opening and closing dates are included so that postings can be placed and removed in a timely manner. The department reserves the right to edit any submittals for length and clarity.
Internships will be posted as they are received.
An internship is required for all students in landscape architecture who are pursuing a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) degree. The internship is offered for three units of credit on a Credit/No Credit basis under LA 371. To learn more about internship requirements, click here.
Firma Design Group, Petaluma
Firma Design Group is a San Francisco Bay Area planning, civil engineering and landscape architecture firm focused on developing strong relationships with our valued clients in order to provide them with the finest professional design services. This has been our mission since our founding in 2000, and today we continue to work with both public and private sector clients, creating designs that respond to their specific needs. Our innovative designs represent the careful integration of a client’s goals with site-specific opportunities and constraints. We work collaboratively with our clients to transform their sites into sustainable, livable, functional and inspiring environments.
We are looking for an intern to assist Principals and Project Managers, including Landscape Architects and Civil Engineers with CAD drafting, file organization, archiving projects, electronically and hard copies, site walks, design of residential properties, etc. All work will be on site at 1425 N. McDowell Blvd, Petaluma.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, revise and maintain drawings using AutoCAD.
- Draft plans and drawings from provided markups.
- Work cooperatively with Project Managers and other team members to keep the job on schedule and on budget.
- Support multiple projects, client deadlines, and deliverables.
- Other related duties as necessary.
- Experience working with AutoCAD 2013, including sheet references and layering.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to read and understand construction plans and drawings.
- An understanding and working knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign are a plus.
- Experience working with ARC GIS, and County Parcel Maps a plus, but not required.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and check the quality of own work.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to use sound judgment.
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing with attention to details.
- A can do attitude and desire for self-improvement.
- The position is for 10-12 weeks, from June to August, 2014
- You are expected to work 30-40 hours a week
- Hours: M-F 8:30am – 5pm
- Hourly wage range $12 - $18 (depending on experience)
- We are located in Petaluma, CA
- To apply please submit your resume to Carolyn Kintzley, Office Manager at email@example.com
Broussard Associates, Clovis
Broussard Associates Landscape Architects is an established firm with an out-of-the-box reputation for design. We have a diverse mix of projects including Master Planned Residential Communities, Model Homes, Urban and Community Parks, Institutional Design (Medical and Educational) and Retail Centers. We have an open studio environment, and our office culture is energetic and engaging.
The firm is immediately seeking interns for the summer break. The desired qualifications include seeking a bachelor's degree in Landscape Architecture or related discipline. The ideal candidate will have strong hand graphic skills including a full working knowledge of AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator and Microsoft Office programs. Knowledge of Sketchup a plus. Experience in an office a plus but not required.
Please email a resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Callander Associates, San Jose
Callander Associates, an award-winning 23-person planning and design firm with offices in San Mateo, San Jose and Rancho Cordonva, has an internship opportunity with its San Jose studio team. Their office of professionals is highly motivated, energetic, and committed to excellence. Calander Associates is committed to providing professionally challenging, distinctive, enjoyable and paid internship opportunities.
The team is looking for motivated 3rd or 4th year students with an appreciation for the art and craft of landscape architecture who want to expand their skills and let us work with you to become an outstanding designer and landscape architect. Through practical project work, you will broaden and expand your professional skills. Participants will collaborate on a variety of projects that improve the quality of life and help create livable communities, including: public parks, urban design, trails and bikeways, streetscapes, housing developments, and waterfront development.
Experience in the following is a plus:
- Hand renderings
If you are interested in joining the San Jose studio team for the summer, please email your resume and a few portfolio examples to Human Resources Manager Sonja Ditto at email@example.com.
McCabe's Nursery & Landscape, Temecula
McCabe's Nursery & Landscape, Inc. is a growing ten-acre plant nursery, landscape construction company and maintenance service provider with 35 full time employees.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, outgoing Landscape Design Intern. The office environment is dynamic and fast-paced. Ideal candidates will be able to change gears quickly and adapt to consistently shifting and evolving priorities.
Applicants need to be comfortable working around dogs and cats in a home office environment.
- Assisting with tours of the nursery with prospective clients to identify plant preferences and typing notes from these tours
- Preparation of stitched photos and scaled site plans for custom landscape designs and estimates
- Assisting the Landscape Designers with the sale of construction projects
- Preparation of 3D design plans and Sketch up Models (as appropriate)
- Providing high-levels of customer service to past, present, and future customers
- Assisting construction foremen as needed with projects under construction
- Measuring and creating site-plans for properties without satellite images
- Doing research on possible new materials and unique design ideas
- Other duties as assigned
- Proficiency with photo editing software (preferably the Adobe Creative Suite)
- Ability to work with CAD, Google Earth, and Sketchup
- Experience using Quickbooks preferred
- Desire to learn and develop on a continuous basis
- Computer literacy including competency with Microsoft Office suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Flexibility to accommodate a shifting work load and ongoing deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Strong problem solving and prioritization skills
- High level of energy and positive attitude
- Love of plants and familiarity with names and types required
Location: De Luz (Temecula) 92590
Please submit resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Rozanski Design, Sonoma
Rozanski Design is a design/build landscape architecture firm focused mainly on high-end residential projects throughout Sonoma Valley. The firm works side by side with architects, engineers, and contractors to create quality projects that are cohesive and well thought-out.
The intern positions is for someone who is detail-oriented and good at multitasking. You will be asked to assist with drafting (both by hand and CAD) and design work (renderings, concepts, design development, etc.) as well as billing and general office administration. Strong computer skills are a must (Apple).
- Hand Drafting and Rendering
- Landscape Design
- Graphic Layout
- Site Analysis
- Billing & Data Entry
- Office Organization
- Client Communication
- A passion for landscape design and construction
- Strong attention to detail
- Hand drafting ability
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Adobe CS (primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
- Excellent communication skills
- Horticultural knowledge and experience
Additional Skills a Plus:
- Mac Quickbooks
- Landscape construction experience
Interested applicants should submit contact information, resume, and brief sample of design work to email@example.com
American Landscape Construction, Canoga Park
American Landscape is offering internship opportunities to two or three students over the summer of 2014. This is a paid internship opportunity. American Landscape is a large construction company with design/build capability. Projects include work for Disney, Sony, Museums, Universities, Golf, Public Works, and estate residential. For more information, you may visit our website at: http://americanlandscape.com/
The student will experience estimating, project management and submittal generation, job site construction reviews, and design of irrigation and landscape for various active projects. American is in the process of upgrading our marketing materials, and work on the new website and brochure is likely. This experience will give the student a comprehensive view of the necessary design elements needed to construct a successful landscape installation.
The successful completion of this internship may lead to further internship possibilities or permanent employment opportunities.
Students are to send resumes to: Pedmiston@americanlandscape.com
Berger Partnership, Seattle
Berger Partnership recognizes the importance of connecting with students to enhance their academic studies and prepare them for professional practice. Each year the firm identifies a topic focusing on state-of-the-art landscape architectural practices and then hones the final direction with the intern once selected. This year's topic is our urban environment and the opportunity for urban play, recreation, and activity. This will include children's play areas, but will also take a look at the entire popuolation of our urban environment.
The internship combines practicum and research. Practicum is designed to provide hands-on project experience in a collaborative team environment and will likely involve researching applicable projects and visiting local examples, preparation of graphics, 3D modeling and design of a range of landscape elements. Research typically involves conducting interviews, visiting applicable projects, generating case studies, and culminates in the production of a document and presentation of findings.
The paid internship program is open to all Landscape Architecture and Urban Design students and will run six to eight weeks, approximately 30-40 hours a week. Please note the program is intended for students enrolled in a degree program who will be returning to school for the following term; applicants who graduate prior to the dates of the internship will not be considered. Interns are expected to present their findings to the office at the conclusion of the internship.
To be considered for Berger Partnership’s 2014 Summer Internship Program, please submit a letter of interest, resume, and representative work samples as a PDF to their office. Please limit your submittal to a maximum of 10 pages. Email PDF's to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted 3-25-14; Remove 4-30-14
City of San Jose Public Works Department, San Jose
The City of San Jose, Public Works Department, is looking to hire a student intern during summer 2014 to assist with an overflow of work the department is responsible for. This is a great opportunity for students to learn about working in the public sector while in the heart of the ever-growing Silicon Valley.
As a student intern, you will learn and gain practical experience in the field of Landscape Architecture while working in the City Facilities Architectural Services Division in the Department of Public Works. This opportunity will expose you to the processes required to provide landscape architectural support for various types of municipal projects. You will have the opportunity to work with various City departments as well as private engineering and landscape architectural firms. This is an opportunity to learn in a large organization and contribute to the development of municipal facilities.
Position Description and Duties:
- Assist in the preparation of strategic park and recreation facility plans such as Citywide Community Garden plans
- Recommend sites appropriate for various recreation facilities using a set of defined site selection criteria.
- Provide construction management support including submittal review.
- Provide support to project managers by preparing plans and schematic designs in AutoCAD.
- Review park and trail plans and specifications prepared by consultants.
- Update turnkey park guidelines standard specifications, and standard details.
- Perform project research.
- Any combination equivalent to completion of high school and current enrollment in an accredited college or university in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Landscape Architecture majors are highly desirable.
- Experience with AutoCAD is also highly desirable.
Pay range is $10/20 - $24.55/hour for an undergraduate student intern. Student interns must continue to be enrolled in a college or university during their employment with the City of San Jose (e.g.., enrolled for Fall 2014).
To apply and gain more information about the position, click here. All applications must be submitted through the City's online process. Applications will be reviewed the week of April 7, 2014. Potential candidates will be invited to participate in oral interviews. Final decision is expected mid-April. For questions, contact program alum Tala Fatolahdazeh.
Internships on ASLA's JobLink
The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) posts internship opportunities. To search for internships, go to JobLink, click on Search Jobs, then, under Career Category, click on Internship and press the Search button. Opportunities are posted as they are received.
Posted 3-19-14; Remove 4-16-14
Doyle Herman Design Associates, Greenwich, CT
Doyle Herman Design Associates specializing in high end residential design is seeking portfolio submissions from talented and driven students to fill its paid summer internship position. The selected applicant will spend approximately 12 weeks as an intern in their Greenwich, CT office. DHDA interns are exposed to all facets of professional practice from concept design and planning, to construction documentation to construction oversight. Responsibilities of the intern position would include, but not be limited to, CAD drafting, grading, field work, submittal preparation, graphics, and various other tasks. Interns may also gain experience outside the office, accompanying project managers to site visits, client meetings, and presentations.
While the internship is paid, the intern would be required to find housing on his/her own. Interns living in the NYC area would be able to commute using public transportation with relative ease.
Requirements for applying are as follows:
- Cover Letter (including a paragraph of goals and expectations of the internship program)
- Work Sample of Portfolio
- Letter of Recommendation from a Professor
Deadline to apply is April 15, 2014. Please email the above to email@example.com with "2014 Internship" in the subject field.
Wood Rodgers, Sacramento
Wood Rodgers, a progressive multi-disciplinary consulting firm based in Sacramento, California is looking for a summer intern in their Planning and Landscape Group. Preference is for a student that has finished their junior year but we may consider sophomores or seniors. Please indicate your anticipated graduation date on your resume. This is a great opportunity to gain insight about working in a professional office, which will help boost your resume, and most importantly it is a paid position.
Candidates should have strong AutoCAD drafting skills. GIS, Illustrator, Photoshop, and other software expertise will be a plus. Strong communication and analytical skills are also desired. Daily tasks will include supporting Wood Rodgers staff in preparing exhibits and maps, reports and documents, applications, proof-reading, making deliveries, etc. The ideal candidate would be from the Sacramento region. Please indicate your hometown and/or potential living situation on your resume in addition to your San Luis Obispo contact information.
This position is considered temporary (approximately 10 weeks), will pay $14/hr. and no health benefits are provided. The schedule is flexible but is expected to be a minimum of 4 days per week and will be finalized with the selected candidate. For immediate consideration, please email your resume to Tamara Johnson, HR Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SLO County Parks, Nipomo/Avila/Oceano
The County of San Luis Obispo General Services Agency has an opening for a student intern. The intern will perform a wide variety of duties in the administration, operation and maintenance of county parks, beaches, open space, recreational and landscaped areas, buildings and assigned facilities; and does other related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Minimum 6 months of experience in general landscape; or completion of two years of college at an accredited institution with a major in recreation, park management, natural resource management, horticulture, forestry or related field. May be required to work weekends, holidays and irregular hours.
Please direct any questions regarding this student intern job to Lasca Gaylord at email@example.com. Phone: 805-781-4901.
Posted 3-7-14; Remove 4-16-14
SWA Cultural Landscape Fellowship, Houston/Dallas
The Cultural Landscpe Foundation (TCLF) is pleased to announce a unique opportunity for a gifted student or recent alum that willl take place during the summer of 2014. Developed in partnership with SWA Group, this paid position includes housing and will be based for four to five weeks each at SWA's Houston and Dallas offices.
Specifically, this position will focus on research, writing and field reconnaissance for TCLF's What's Out There Texas program, which is part of TCLF's What's Out There free, searchable, authoriative online database of the nation's designed landscapes. Specific tasks include generating and editing text, on site photography, and photo editing. Excellent writing skills and attention to detail are essential for the job. The fellow would work for four to five weeks each in SWA's Houston and Dallas offices, engaging directly with SWA staff and remotely with TCLF's Washington, DC-based staff.
- Excellent writing and editing;
- Research - archives and other primary source material, books and online;
- A good phtographic eye;
- Experience with Photoshop;
- Experience with or knowledge of landscape architecture vocabulary and history
Submissions: Cover letter and resume are required. A brief writing sample is required - two pages or less, ideally a paper or essay about a designed landscape or landscape architect. Portfolio is not required.
Compensation Details: $15/hour, full-time. Housing is provided by the firm in Houston and in Dallas.
Education Requirements: Landscape Architecture or Historic Preservation student or recent alum preferred. Other relevant degrees or experience will be considered.
Application materials are due April 15, with phone interviews and hiring decision in late April. Please send application materials, questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sage Ecological Landscapes, Los Osos
Sage Ecological Landscapes is looking for an unpaid design intern to help with Landscape Design. The intern will assist the Sage design team with design-related tasks for custom residential landscapes. The intern must have a working knowledge of AutoCAD, InDesign and Photoshop. The intern must also be familiar with drought tolerant and native plants. The intern will shadow the designer and may help with site analysis, organizing client information, entering base plans into AutoCAD, presentation layout and other assignments related to design.
Sage is seeking a landscape architecture student in their third year or above to work approximately 10 hours per week.
Interested individuals should contact Scott Domingues, Landscape Designer at email@example.com.